Hnefatafl is an ancient Scandinavian board game whose variants were played all over medieval Europe before chess was even invented. In those so called Tafl games two different sized armies fight each other. The invading black army tries to capture the white king, while the defending white army tries to protect their king and help him escape.
Often also called the Game of the Vikings Hnefatafl tells many stories, like the Moskowites invasion of Sweden or the Viking hordes pillaging Britain. But no matter what the story is one thing always stays the same: The hunt for the king.
Even though the rules aren’t complicated the game offers fascinating strategies and rewards tactical play. Try to surround the enemy pieces, plan ahead, lay traps and force your opponent into surrender. Will you capture the king for gold and glory? Can the loyal guards hold back the invading forces and secure the flight of their king?
For offline and online play you can create your own custom variants — with over 200,000 different variants possible!
This game features:
– Variant “Hnefatafl”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Copenhagen Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Historical Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Berserk Rules”
– Variant “Hnefatafl – Fetlar Rules”
– Variant “Sea Battle 11×11”
– Variant “Sea Battle 13×13”
– Variant “Tablut”
– Variant “Tablut – Historical Rules (“Saami”)”
– Variant “Linnaeus’ Tablut”
– Variant “Foteviken Tablut”
– Variant “Ard Ri”
– Variant “Brandubh”
– Variant “Magpie”
– Variant “Tawlbwrdd”
– Variant “Tyr 13×13”
– Variant “Tyr 15×15”
– Variant “Coppergate 15×15”
– Variant “Alea Evengelii”
– Custom variants for offline and online play
– Offline play for two humans
– Offline play against various computer opponents
– Offline play with computer against computer
– Online play via Fellhuhn Gaming Service
– Ingame Chat for Online play
– Achievements via Fellhuhn Gaming Service
– Tutorial/Rules included
– Share matches with other players
– Annotate and review online matches
– Export matches to OpenTafl
– Match Browser to find the fitting match
– Match History to review your strategies
– Link your account with the Steam version to continue your matches anytime
– ELO rankings for rated matches
This app is supported by advertisement which can be disabled through a one-time purchase of IAP.
– Internet Access is required for the advertisements and online play
– In-App-Billing/Purchase is required for the optional removal of advertisements
Follow us on:
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HnefataflGame/
– Twitter: https://twitter.com/FellhuhnDotCom
– Discord: https://discord.gg/dXMYNB8
Includes artwork created by Thomas Jacquin (http://www.thomasjacquin.com) which are part of the Tafl-Sets of Legend Board Games.
You won’t be offered the option to delete ongoing matches anymore if you long click them.
Adjusted the starting position of the Knight in the new Berserk variant.
Users can now request a password reset.
The match history will load again.
Developer Philippe Schober
Uploaded February 11, 2021 21:49
Filesize 53.3 MB
Developer Philippe Schober
Uploaded June 27, 2020 08:33
Filesize 47.9 MB